We were looking for an idea which would present an all year round occupation for the patients. Good quality baked goods were rare and hard to get in Beijing at the end of the year 2004. It was Yvonne’s and Natascha`s idea and conviction that a bakery would be a meaningful occupation as well as a profitable business for the patients, with us supporting them with the marketing.
Yvonne und Natascha
A private donations appeal with friends in China and Europe made it possible to transform several rooms in the hospital to a small bakery.
In addition we purchased two industrial size ovens, one fermentation oven, a mixing machine, a scale, air conditioning and stoves, and furnished the room with working tables and chairs. We also purchased bowls, spoons, kitchen towels, storage Tupperware, baskets for selling the goods, wrapping material, and more.
While working in the bakery all patients are wearing a work uniform, i.e. white hats and jackets.
Recipes were tried out and some patients trained as “bakers”. The hospital cook helps the patients with the preparation of the dough, the baking and the use of the oven.
What has been achieved so far?
In agreement with the patients and with the consent of the hospital administration crazy bake uses all the profits to improve the living circumstances for the patients in the hospital. The safe keeping and administration of the money is being handled by partners of the project not working at the hospital.
With this modus operandi the following acquisitions have been made so far:
(Please see also the pictures of some aquisitions below.)
- January 2005: purchase of a washing machine for the women
- February 2005: purchase of a washing machine for the men
- February to May 2005: purchase of three air conditioners for the patients’ common rooms which are also being used as dining rooms. In summer those ACs are being used for about 6 hours daily. The energy costs are being covered by the project.
- August 2005: covering of the inside courtyard (Phase 1). The roofs provide shelter from the brutal sun as well as from rain.
- September 2005: purchase of 100 chairs to be used outside
- January 2006: purchase of a karaoke machine
- February 2006 (Chinese New Year): purchase of new bed sheets for 180 patients
- Mai 2006: covering of the inside courtyard (Phase 2)
- Mai 2006: purchase of 200 plastic boxes for storing clothing under the beds
- Feb. 2007 (Chinese New Year): purchase new bed sheets for 190 patients. Special thanks to Käthe Klinker and Helmut Prigge and all their guests for their donations
- June 2007: purchase a fridge for ice cream
- September 2007: purchase furniture for a class room in the hospital
- December 2007: purchase equipment for the assisted living prokect (e.g. Fridge, washing machine, heaters, furniture)
- April 2008: DVD and Karaokee system
- May 2008: purchase of ventilators
- July 2009: financial support for the rent of the assisted living project. They had to move and the rent for the new house was higher then expected
- November 2009: repair heating system in the hospital
- February 2010 (Chinese New Year): purchase new bed sheets for 200 patients
- September 2010: repair the delivery car
- September 2011: purchase new bed sheets for 200 patients
- April 2012: purchase new cabinets
- May 2012: repair of the hot water solar system
- April 2014: purchase of new bed matresses
- May 2014: building a new glass window roof on an inner courtyard. Many thanks to Knorr Bremse China for their donation to finance this project!
|Celebration of the 8 year old existence|
|Trip to the Silver Pagoda|
|Trip to Pinggu for apple harvest|